I use real locations when I write. It's not a conscious decision, nor do I think of it as a hard and fast rule. It’s just what works for me. One day I could write a story set in some really cool fantasy setting that was created solely from my imagination, but for now, I find my stories in the quaint little towns that embody the southern charm that is Louisiana.
Now, don’t get me wrong – I’ll plop a restaurant or school or anything else I need where one really doesn’t exist but I strive to show the natural appeal of these neat little places. The photographer in me loves to have actual images to refer to when writing descriptions. I use maps, and Google driving directions if my characters have to visit another location. I try to incorporate local customs or food if at all possible. If you’ve never been to Louisiana – the food alone is worth the visit!
![]() |
| Crawfish and corn - Yum! |
My husband knows this about me and is currently trying to talk me in to writing a story set in Costa Rica. And of course, we’ll have to travel there for “research” and then the trip will be a write-off, right? Not sure Uncle Sam will agree with that but it’s fun to talk about.
Actually, I’m thinking more about a "girls’ trip to New York" story. Shopping and plays on Broadway. Maybe a museum visit or two. Out on the town every night.
I’ll definitely need to research that.

Yeah, I do the same!
ReplyDeleteI do a mixture of the two: I love creating brand new worlds and places, but I also love to - and often do - use real places I know in my writing. I think it's cool that your photographer brain needs a visual - it makes sense!
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley. Just stopping by from the blogfest of about two weeks ago. I'm a little slow, but I like to really read the blogs not just hit and run. Enjoyed this post. Write what you know, right? I prefer to have a real feel for my location. I did have to write my second in series in Greece and could not actually make the trip (some day) but Google earth and you tube were a great resource. I'll have to wait and see if it worked. Looking for representation.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your site. I'll be back.
I'll do the NYC research with you :-)
ReplyDeleteAll of my novels are set in places I know (usually the Phoenix area since I know it so well). I am so like you. If I need a restaurant that isn't there--well, suddenly it is :-) Nice post!