Funny how certain topics seem to be in the air. I’ve been thinking a lot about plotting the last few days and noticed several other blogs are chatting about it as well. Or maybe I’m just noticing it more since I have plot on the brain.
I’m a pantser. For my non-writing friends reading this – A pantser is someone who writes off the hip, no real planning involved. This does not surprise you about me, I know.
In everything I do, I’m a pantser. I follow recipes half-heartily. I stroll down grocery aisles without a list. I wander around the gym, picking machines randomly. But I’m thinking about converting. I can hear the gasps now. And yes, I could do it. Probably. Well, maybe.
Okay, so to start acting more plottier (I know, not a real word) – I’ll make a list of the pros and cons:
Pros:
1. It’ll make revision time shorter – I won’t write 10,000 words of backstory before realizing where the real story starts
2. It’ll show my agent what the next manuscript is about – I can say, “See, I was worth the risk. Look at all these glorious ideas all neat and in order!!”
3. Well, that’s all I have right now but I like things in threes so okay. Moving on.
Cons:
1. Plotting is super scary to me – I have to actually know what’s going to happen before it happens. This seems like a no-brainer but that’s not how my brainer works. (I know, not a real word either)
2. My characters are a mystery to me – and they like it that way.
3. What’s the fun in knowing what’s gonna happen, anyway?
Well, that did nothing for me.
But I’m still going to try it. Hopefully, I can find a happy middle ground like hating broccoli but eating it covered in cheese because I know it’s good for me.
Let me know if you can get plotting-ahead-of-time to work for you--I want to hear what the secret is. I'm a total plotter in every area of my life; nothing happens without planning. But in writing...I just can't do it.
ReplyDeleteI find that plotting results in me keeping a happy medium between actually outlining and pantsing. I outline before I start; dribble down some character traits and a bit of backstory. Write a blurb, Then writing scenes as they come to me- things I'd like to 'see' happen- bits of conversation, etc. Then I go to write- and the thing ALWAYS takes on a life of its own, I find myself going back to my outline and throwing things out, adding things in, changing the order of certain scenes, deleting characters, writing in new characters and twists. The good thing is I always know where I'm going but still enjoy the surprises as to how I got there:) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting that you point out pantsing in every thing else you do in life. I'm definitely that way too, but I do outline, at least loosely, when I write.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm a PLANTSER! I have a general, very hazy idea in my head, but it always seems to change once I actually get into the story and start writing.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I bet it doesn't matter how you go about it as long as the story gets done! Good luck on your decision.